Saturday, November 9, 2013

The runaway family story

As I continue my search for the Reed line, trying to get past my husband's great grandfather, who at this point I think was dropped off by aliens, all I have to go on is family stories and the little nuggets of information I find in my research.

In my last post, I explained that Harry Sr. was killed unexpectedly in a work place accident.

The additional family story that goes with that is that some of the children, Harry Jr had four siblings at that point, were sent to live with other family members - specifically an uncle.

Later Harry Jr ran away from that home, lived with a friend, and enlisted in the military with a false date of birth and listed the friend's mom as a guardian.

I was able to get ahold of Harry Jr's 201 file recently, and sure enough there is a guardian listed that is not a Reed. Her name is Ethel Holstine.

I was hoping for some Reed to be listed as guardian, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

I looked Ethel and her family up in the 1940 census, not hoping that a Reed was listed in her household, but rather that I'd find a Reed within several pages of her, no such luck.

My next theory is to try looking in the 1940 Census in Charleston, WV for a male Reed, with a birth year around 1906 that is a head of household.

We'll see how that goes.......

No comments:

Post a Comment